Our Medical Advisory Board
Dr. Christina Canil, Chair
Kidney Cancer Canada established a Medical Advisory Board in January 2009. This Board is Kidney Cancer Canada’s formal connection with health care providers and researchers who work directly with kidney cancer patients.
The Medical Advisory Board works alongside with Kidney Cancer Canada to ensure that our activities and health information are relevant and useful for patients and caregivers. The main responsibilities of this Board are to:
- provide oversight of health related information;
- identify treatment and access issues;
- provide a link to the Canadian medical community;
- promote awareness of Kidney Cancer Canada among patients and other health care providers in their regions, nationally and internationally.
Board membership includes experts from a range of specialties and geographic regions across Canada.
CHRISTINA CANIL, MD, FRCPC
Dr. Christina Canil is a medical oncologist at the Ottawa Hospital Cancer Centre (TOHCC) and Assistant Professor with the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Ottawa. She has been on staff at the Ottawa Hospital since 2004.
Dr. Canil completed medical school and her internal medicine residency at the University of Toronto and her medical oncology residency at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario. Dr. Canil went on to complete a two-year clinical research fellowship at the Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto, with a focus on Genitourinary cancer.
Dr. Canil’s research interests include drug development and survivorship in Genitourinary Cancer. She is a member of the Kidney Cancer Research Network of Canada as a co-lead for their Survivorship Initiative. Dr Canil is also member of the Ontario Provincial Program in Evidenced-based Care for the Genitourinary Cancer Disease Site Group.
Medical Advisory Board Members
- Dr. Christina Canil (Chair), Medical Oncologist, Ottawa
- Dr. Anil Kapoor (Past Chair), Uro-Oncologist, Hamilton
- Dr. Peter Black, Uro-Oncologist, Vancouver
- Dr. Christian Kollmannsberger, Medical Oncologist, Vancouver
- Dr. Daniel Heng, Medical Oncologist, Calgary
- Dr. Geoff Gotto, Uro-Oncologist, Calgary
- Dr. Darrel Drachenberg, Uro-Oncologist, Winnipeg
- Dr. Anand Swaminath, Radiation Oncologist, Hamilton
- Dr. Andrew Feifer, Uro-Oncologist, Mississauga
- Dr. Georg Bjarnason, Medical Oncologist, Toronto
- Dr. Michael Jewett, Uro-Oncologist, Toronto
- Louiselle Godbout, Pharmacist, Ottawa
- Dr. Simon Tanguay, Uro-Oncologist, Montreal
- Dr. Denis Soulières, Medical Oncologist, Montreal
- Dr. Frédéric Pouliot, Uro-Oncologist, Quebec
- Dr. Lori Wood , Medical Oncologist, Halifax
- Dr. Chris French, Uro-Oncologist, St John's
- Pat Sevean, Kidney Cancer Canada Representative